Who we are?
Federación de Asociaciones Gallegas de Familiares de Enfermos de Alzhéimer y Otras Demencias (Federation of Galician Associations of Family Members of People with Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias), also known as Federación Alzhéimer Galicia or FAGAL is a non-profit organization born in 1998 as the union of some associations of family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease in Galicia.
Today, FAGAL is formed by 15 Galician Alzheimer organizations, totaling more than 5,000 families and offering numerous services through 260 professionals from the social and health care sector. FAGAL is also Galicia’s reference institution regarding Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
Today FAGAL develops its own programs based mainly on dissemination, awareness and training family members of people with some kind of neurodegenerative dementia. Our associations and our work aimed at the associative development of the federation and its member entities is the federation’s raison d’être. That is why FAGAL works as connecting thread of communication and coordination between all the federated associations.
FAGAL is also a representative of social impact in relation to society and public administrations.
- Representing and being the voice of associations of family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease in Galicia on federated jurisdiction issues.
- Promoting the development and fulfillment of the purposes of FAGAL’s member organizations.
- Defending the rights and duties of the federation’s associations, without prejudice of legitimacy.
- Advising all federated associations and helping them with issues related to the purposes of the federation.
- Calling for new specific care centers for people with Alzheimer's.
- Promoting the implementation of a census of people affected by Alzheimer’s disease in Galicia by the public administration.
- Developing social awareness activities regarding the problems caused by this disease.
- Collaborating with other similar provincial, regional, national or international organizations that partly or totally participate in the purposes of this federation on issues of mutual interest.